Confession: I’m a product junkie! I discover a new product, I buy the whole line, try it out, find out it’s not for me, stash it in my “product junkie” box, and move on to the next. I’m pretty sure my box of natural hair products has well over $300 worth of creams, conditioners, shampoos & oils. So sad, but so true. I have a problem.
Well, let me rephrase that…I did have a problem. Once I came to terms with my “addiction,” and realized I really had no money for this kind of spending, I quickly educated myself on do-it-yourself hair product. I learned about all the different kind of oil & butter cocktails you can create to come up with the perfect recipe for your hair type. This was my first time trying something like this, and let me say…I’m pretty darn proud of myself!
This recipe was adapted from a blog post I pinned a while back, but adjusted the ingredients to better cater to my thirsty locks & to attempt to use what I already had around the house.
8 oz. Pure White Shea Butter
1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil
5 inches of an Aloe Vera leaf
1 Tbsp Jamaican Black Castor Oil
1/2 Tbsp Argon Oil
a few drops of essential Lavender Oil (for fragrance)
1. Warm Shea Butter for 25 seconds in the microwave.
2. Stir up the softened butter, then mix in oils (except Lavender oil)
3. Cut 5 inches of an Aloe Vera leaf, slice it open & scrape the gel into the butter/oil mixture
4. Stir/whip ingredients until creamy (It took me a little over 15 minutes to get to a consistency I was happy with, but I just counted it as my workout for the day!)
5. Add a few drops of lavender oil for a nice fragrance
I use this for my cream when doing the L.O.C. method & it works wonders on my twist outs. This cream leaves my 4c hair shiny, bouncy, elongated, & moisturized. I was pretty surprised by the results & to think all this stuff was already in my cabinets. Imagine the money I could have saved if I did this in the first place!
Tried any DIY hair cream cocktails lately? What oil/butter combination do you love?