A while back, I posted about my adventures at metro Atlanta local consignment shop, Classy Finds. Within that post, I promised that I would share a craft with you that I did with the old cigar boxes I found. That was like, 5 months ago!! (Oops!) But the wait is over!!
Today I share with you a crazy, simple cigar box craft that will result in a beautiful storage box where you can store away trinkets & keepsakes such as:
- Washi Tape
- Hand written letters
- &/or crafting notions
What you’ll need:
- Old cigar box(es)
- 1/2 yard of fabric or burlap (I used fabric I had at home, so this is definitely more than enough)
- Mod Podge
- Painting sponge
- Old handles or knobs
- Ruler (not pictured)
Ready, Set, Craft!
- To get an accurate cut for your box, start out with placing the box in the center of the fabric with the lid open.
- Mark the fabric with 2 inches from the top of the box & about 3 inches from the sides & bottom of the box.
- Carefully cut the fabric based on your marks & make adjustments as you go, if necessary.
- Once your fabric is cut out, do a mock run of how your fabric will fit on the box to make sure you don’t need to make any other cuts. You’re going to want to make sure that there is about a 1 inch margin that will wrap around the lid of the box, especially when the lid is closed.
- Begin at the front of the box, & generously coat the side with Mod Podge. Immediately after applying the glue, adhere that side’s fabric onto the box. Glue might come through the fabric but that’s ok. You want that to happen to make sure the fabric sticks well. Also make sure you keep your fabric taut so that when everything is complete it fits like a glove!
- Next, tackle the sides of the box as you did the front, making sure that the top edge of the box is also covered. When you get to the edges of the front of the box, you’ll see that you’re going to have extra fabric (see below). Cut off that extra fabric, leaving about a 1/2 inch & adhere it to the front using a little bit of extra glue.
- Now it’s time for the lid! Start at the back side of the box & adhere the fabric to it like you did the front & sides. Then coat the lid with the Mod Podge & adhere the fabric to it, making sure that it is tight & fits around the lid (both opened & closed).
- Cut the excess fabric of your lid as close as you can possibly get to the edges of the lid (like so!).
- Once the glue is dry, take some super glue, & adhere your handle or knob (totally optional) to the front of your box. (You can also use hot glue, but I was being too impatient to wait for the hot glue to heat up!)
And there you have it! A simple & quick craft that you can use to beautifully store some of your favorite possession. I’m using my box to store hand written letters I’ve received over the years. There’s nothing like getting a letter in the mail from an old friend!