I love giving myself a good challenge. So, this month’s challenge is to fancy up a dollar with my mad crafting skills by going to the dollar store & making those dollar store finds into something I would have paid so much more for at a Target or Home Goods. Plus what better excuse to give myself to craft, right!?
The Random Dollar Store Finds:
- Bamboo basket
- Wire wastebasket
- Random book
- Hanging basket
- Glass vase
This week I’ll show you what I did with the glass vase & bamboo basket. Then next week I’ll finish things up with the book, hanging basket, & wastebasket.
For the bamboo basket, simply pick spray paint (I chose gold!) & coat that bad boy to your desired hue. Easy peasy! Nothing complicated about that, but still beautiful.
For the glass vase, you will need:
- Dollar Store Glass Vase
- Natural Jute Rope
- Acrylic paint
- Painters Tape
Here’s what you do:
- Wrap painter’s tape around the vase. I placed mine at an angle, but make sure that the tape is adhered securely around the vase so that no paint gets underneath
- Use a pouncer to apply the paint below the painters tape. I did 3 coats, but depending on what color you choose, more or less may be needed.
- Once the paint is dry remove the painters tape. In the event that paint did get underneath the tape, wet a Q-tip with nail polish remover & clean up the edges.
- Grab your jute rope & apply a small glue dot to hold the rope in place. Then, go to town wrapping the rope around the vase until you’re satisfied with how it looks.
- Use another glue dot to adhere the end of the rope to the vase & Wa-la!!